- Job area
- Research & Development
- Marcq-en-Barœul, France
- Contract type
- Permanent Contract
This position is based at the Lesaffre Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) in a team dedicated to Applied Microbiology and Enzymology (MicroOrganismS Center of Excellence).
The research activity is focused on studying and influencing the physiology, functionality, and mode of action of microorganisms or their derivatives in business-relevant complex matrixes (sourdough, mash, soil, malt, bile…) to select and develop optimal strains or solutions for the targeted applications.
- Design and develop microbiological assays in complex matrixes for specific applications across all Lesaffre businesses (baking; fermented food and beverages; flavours; bioethanol production; plant, animal, and human health).
- Set-up and execute low throughput screenings of microorganisms from all Lesaffre collections (yeast, bacteria…) from natural biodiversity to genetically and non-genetically modified microorganisms.
- Drive the implementation of new tools and methodologies in the spirit of continuous improvement.
- Provide scientific support to product launch, sales, and marketing.
- Ensure bibliographic follow-up of topics of interest and technological watch in the field of competence.
- Manage multiple stakeholders: LIST Centers of Excellence, industrial division, and business units.
- Participate in upstream reflection for the definition and maturation of new research projects.
- Represent the company at conferences and participate in scientific network development.
Education and Experience:
You hold a PhD in Microbiology/Biology or food science. You have at least 2 to 5 years of experience in applied microbiology in the agri-food/pharma industry or academic sector.
- Research experience in applied microbiology in one or several application domains of Lesaffre (baking, fermented food, nutrition, and health…).
- Expertise in yeast and/or bacteria physiology, cultivation, and assay development. An experience with bacterial spore formers or in enzymology would be a plus.
- Experience in managing research projects.
- Fluent in English. Basic French knowledge is a plus.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multinational matrix organization working in project mode.
- Sense of management and relationships, pro-active and team spirited.
- Autonomous, pragmatic, positive and with a critical thinking attitude.
- Good communication skills, synthetic, able to adapt and convey messages.
- Open to change and continuous improvement.
A key global player in fermentation for more than a century, Lesaffre, with a 2,2 billion euro turnover, and established on all continents, counts 11,000 employees and more than 90 nationalities. On the strength of this experience and diversity, we work with customers, partners and researchers to find ever more relevant answers to the needs of food, health, naturalness and respect for our environment. Thus, every day, we explore and reveal the infinite potential of microorganisms.
To nourish 9 billion people, in a healthy way, in 2050 by making the most of our planet’s resources is a major and unprecedented issue. We believe that fermentation is one of the most promising answers to this challenge.
Lesaffre – Working together to better nourish and protect the planet.