- Job area
- Research & Development
- Loos, France
- Contract type
- Permanent Contract
- 3 to 5 years
We seek an enthusiastic scientist for our R&D In vitro Platform, which has expertise within gut health and evaluates new concepts and pre-, pro-, post- and synbiotic products for Human and Animal Health& Nutrition. The In vitro Platform uses state-of-the-art in vitro gut simulators and mammalian cell line models, and performs in vitro analysis of (next generation) pre-, pro- and postbiotics using technologies/ techniques such SHIME/SPIME, TIM1, ANKOM, FACS, TEER, ELISA and qPCR-based gene expression.
As Scientist, you are in charge with designing, executing and managing experiments, and you will play an active role in developing the group’s specific know how in microbe – host interactions and pre-, pro-, post- and synbiotic modes of action.
- ensure on time delivery of allocated project tasks, handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- design and perform short- and long-term in vitro experiments using SHIME/SPIME, TIM1 and ANKOM GP systems simulating the gut of various hosts
- analyse and interpret data related to gut microbiome composition and activity
- study the survival of bacteria, yeasts/fungi and bacteriophages under in vitro upper gut and colonic conditions
- culture probiotics (e.g. spore formers, lactic acid bacteria, yeasts/fungi) and strict anaerobes
- deliver activity reports and oral presentations, write research papers
- organize and keep track of experimental data, sample inventories, and supplies
- prepare samples for analyses by internal and external partner laboratories
- responsibilities with the daily run of the labs
- PhD in (molecular) microbiology with proven research experience in the areas of microbe – host interactions, gut microbiome and gut microbiology; minimum 3 year postdoc/ industry experience in this area is preferable
- Proven experience in working with in vitro gut simulators such SHIME and TIM1
- Proven experience in gut microbiome activity and composition analyses
- knowledge of routine laboratory practices and safety regulations (e.g., class 2 biosafety, etc.)
- knowledge/experience with pre-/ probiotics and strict anaerobes
- experience in handling pathogenic microorganisms
- have been or willing to get vaccination necessary for working with human fecal samples
Language skills: Fluent in English and be willing to learn French. In French language, has the ability to read and interpret documents.
As we are a newly established team, where there are many various tasks going on, it's important that you are ambitious, resourceful, self-motivated, eager to implement new techniques, take lead on new tasks, and are driven by generating novel and valuable data. You work systematically and structured while keeping yourself in perspective in busy situations and contributing to a common overview of the team. It is also important to us that you are team player.
A key global player in fermentation for more than a century, Lesaffre, with a 2,2 billion euro turnover, and established on all continents, counts 10,700 employees and more than 85 nationalities. On the strength of this experience and diversity, we work with customers, partners and researchers to find ever more relevant answers to the needs of food, health, naturalness and respect for our environment. Thus, every day, we explore and reveal the infinite potential of microorganisms.
To nourish 10 billion people, in a healthy way, in 2050 by making the most of our planet’s resources is a major and unprecedented issue. We believe that fermentation is one of the most promising answers to this challenge.
Lesaffre – Working together to better nourish and protect the planet